[ppml] getting converts to V6

Bill Darte BillD at cait.wustl.edu
Wed May 16 14:24:22 EDT 2007

I really didn't say it in jest?  I just don't see ARIN's role as
advocacy. I think it is ARIN's role to allocate number resources. It
makes available v4 addresses and v6 addresses.  They are there....and
ARIN (you, me, the industry) has gone out of its way to ensure that
there are limited barriers to entry for those that want v6.

> I don't propose such a system. Its too easily scammed and
> ARIN lacks the staff to stay on top of the fraud issues. But
> it would certainly solve the looming IPv4 crisis.
>

> > What remedy is it to give legacy holders another legacy
> block and have
> > them outside of the system the industry endorses as the means to
> > provide fair and professional oversight to Internet number
> resources?
>
> Why must assigning another block be linked with keeping them
> outside the system? Think outside the box and come up with a
> way to use an IPv6 giveaway as a lever to bring the
> still-active legacy v4 folks into the fold. They won't want
> to pay for a new assignment, but I'll bet most would sign an
> RSA and start paying the $100 annual maintenance fee if there
> was something in it for them.

Exactly.....when people see that IPv6 has something in it for them, they
will move.  Subsidizing people to have those addresses only to receive
the subsidy seems very artificial to me.

> > You seem to feel strongly about such an ARIN policy, perhaps you
> > should propose it.  I or any other AC member would be happy to help
> > you craft the proposal and ensure that it wide distribution for
> > possible consensus.
>
> Fair enough. I'll send you a draft for comments some time next week.

I look forward to working with you....