[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Re: article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 15 14:05:44 EDT 2007

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet wrote:
[..]
> I simply take it as living proof that almost nobody really cares about seeing
> some (50..)70K+ routes more or less in their boxes, these days.

See it is a business trick: when there are say 300k routes in the
routing tables, you are forcing your competition to also carry that
amount of routes in their tables, that means your competition will also
have to buy fast new cool routers with a lot of memory. This makes
various vendors happy, but it also takes care of emptying your
competitions pocket books. When they spend all their cash on routers,
they won't be able to invest in other things or need to up their prices,
resulting in those customers coming to you etc etc etc. Economics 101.
Has not much to do with "The Internet" any more.

The road to monopoly has many routes ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen