[ppml] getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 15 14:02:35 EDT 2007

Cliff Bedore wrote:
[..]
> Right now I have a no fee grandfathered Class C and it will probably do
> me until I retire.

'No fee'? You don't pay for electricity, hardware, transit and a
plethora of other things that are actually required to use those
numbers? Can you please explain where that is, as there are some large
companies who are really interested in that kind of free stuff.

> To do anything with V6, I'd have to get involved
> with lots of paperwork and fees.  I have absolutely no incentive to go
> to v6.  On the other hand, I'd like to work with v6 just to get it
> working and understand it.

If you want 'free address space', try one of the many IPv6 Tunnel
Brokers if you want it for free. They will provide you with a /48 of
address space for you to play with. It won't be PI though, and they are
paying for electricity etc for you.

Another way: 2002:<aabb>:<ccdd>::/48
or actually as you have a /24: 2002:<aabb>:<cc00>::/40

> Is it fair to everyone? Maybe not.  Will it work? Who knows?  What
> would you lose?  A few of the ridiculously large number of IPv6
> addresses that aren't being used anyhow.  But the odds favor getting at
> least some additional IPv6 addresses working.

Address space should be distributed based on NEED. When you can JUSTIFY
your need for a /32 or a /48, you have actual users who are using it.
When you have users, you also have somebody/thing that pays the small
fee to the various registries for having the privilege of your own chunk
of address space.

Greets,
 Jeroen

(Next up: free 12 digit phone numbers, because I had a 4 digit phone
number for free too!)