[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue May 15 03:34:34 EDT 2007

> 	(and today, useful is defined as community
> 	consensus on insertion into nearly everyones routing table...)

I don't think that has been true for a long time now. The consensus is
that useful means that you can configure the addresses into a LAN and
not worry about addressing conflicts in the future because the addresses
are registered for your use and nobody else's.

> e.g. it will
> 	no longer be the community defining useful sized delegations,
> 	it will be the delegee and their upstreams (if any).

That is the way things stand today for large chunks of IPv4 space which
many have noted, are missing from the global routing table views.

--Michael Dillon