[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Mon May 14 19:58:24 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 03:24:47PM -0700, Tony Hain wrote:

> Yes, but the scale is not limited to the IPv4 resource pool because the
> 'resource' is about enabled connectivity, not utilization of a particular
> header format.

	interesting point in the understanding curve.
	i'd posit that the blocks ARIN delegates stewardship
	of are done so because the delegee belives the delegation
	will be useful.  (and today, useful is defined as community
	consensus on insertion into nearly everyones routing table...)
	It is NOT clear to me that in future, that the definition of
	a useful prefix is in its presumption of ubiquitious deployment
	in everyones routers.   If this presumption is correct, there
	will need to be a fundamental shift in thinking.  e.g. it will
	no longer be the community defining useful sized delegations,
	it will be the delegee and their upstreams (if any).

	Once and for all, the myth of "the global routing table"
	will be seen as such.  IMHO of course. :)

> Please forgive the ascii art contortion of the logistic curve.

	we love the ascii art.  perhaps IANA would hire you
	to do their ascii art?

--bill