[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Mon May 14 15:42:41 EDT 2007

1. If you are going to try and push people on to IPv6, it makes sense to
start at the top. ISPs, carriers, and hosting providers with the largest
allocations will likely have more customers dependent on them, more of
their business at stake, and will also have more in house expertise.
They need IPv4 to do new business, so make their business dependent on
IPv6 and they will have a motivation, as well as the means to do it.
End users should receive IPv6 addresses bundled with new IPv4
allocations, but end users can't even begin to drive demand unless
there's an IPv6 backbone and some services out there.

2.  That may be the point. While there are IPv4 addresses still around,
there's leverage. The last available IPv4 address will have the most
leverage, but once it's gone, there's no more leverage. I think there's
a very big assumption that IPv4 address exhaustion is the end of the
world and that IPv6 is guaranteed to replace it in a reasonable time
what that event does happen. Maybe there will be a huge Y2K like sense
of urgency and effort to replace and upgrade everything, but maybe
there'll just be more demand to tweak and fiddle with IPv4 to keep it
running just a bit longer. And end users don't need routable IP
addresses do they? We can NAT them all or just charge more. Why give end
users routable and valuable IPv4 addresses when they will just use them
for peer-to-peer copyright violations and/or trying to avoid censorship?

So I think there's two approaches - either do nothing, and hope it all
works out - IPv6 should win out, but I think there's a chance that IPv4
could be around forever - there's enough invested in it and enough
motivation to keep what's good enough working a while longer.

If ARIN is going to do something to replace IPv4 with IPv6, then there
has to be a fixed criteria, but preferably a fixed date. With a fixed
date, people can scramble Y2K like to make the cutoff.  If ARIN isn't
going to do anything, then that would still be useful to spell out in
policy - i.e. we're handing out addresses as needed, until the last IPv4
address is gone, then it's on to IPv6 - let the market  sort out the
transition. Or the policy might be at least be to reserve the last /8
and suspend all existing IPv4 allocation policies at that point - ie
require case by case, committee approval.