[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Mon May 14 10:20:04 EDT 2007

Opposed as written.

It a poorly conceived idea when it was "2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal", and the changes do not address the weaknesses in 2007-12.

Comments:

1) Based on conversations, I get the impression that most folks proposing
implementation IPv6, _probably_ have not tried to implement IPv6 on any
large scale.  ping6 -I eth0 fe80::xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx doesn't count.  (I will
grant I could be wrong on this, hence "probably".)

2) Artifically making a commodity rare, will cause a run on it before it's rare and push up the dates.

In order to provide something constructive, I think these policy proposals
attempt to bite off too much.  Break it down into 3 separate ones.

First, define events on the use curve.  (BTW, it's logistic, not exponential)
Not only when we think we need to change policy, but why?  Maybe we only
define one point in time for now, and just stay focused on what we need to
do to not get there.

Next, define different policies that ARIN can use with regard to space
assignment.  Whether you have a /16 or a IPv6 network might be the factors
that come up here, or whether it's a time based allocation -- you get a /16
for 2 years then have to return it, or some other agreed-to space, if
you're asking for some swing space while you do something else.

Last, tie the first event to policies.  Once we approach that event in time,
we have a track record, and can discuss the next best policy to proceed
with.

Discussing actions seperately from events, allows them to be fully discussed
with the ramifications, without getting into the side issues of when
things turn bad.  Discussing the events allows a cleaner discussion of
growth, live data, models and expectations.  Bringing it together last,
allows a discussion of what-when.

If things are that rotten, then it may be that assignment policies change
now, even before the next event.