[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Fri May 11 16:54:48 EDT 2007

There's absolutely no incentive to adopt IPv6. Everyone who needs IPv4
addresses essentially already has them, or has the money to acquire
someone who does if they need more. Is an IPv4 shortage really going to
stop Google, Microsoft, MCI or a large cable/xDSL service provider from
doing business?

Giving out more IPv4 addresses just makes the IPv4 club bigger. The day
the last IPv4 address is used up, the existing IPv4 Internet doesn't
cease to exist, it'll be business as usual for the millions of users and
existing services. New users won't be shut out, they'll just be second
class citizens and by that time they may not realize it or even care.

NAT and as yet undreamed of "technologies" (kludges) designed to
preserve IPv4 will be in full swing to keep business as usual. RFC 3021
is one example, RFC 3489 an even better one.

The only carrot is IPv4 addresses, and for a soft landing, you need to
make new IPv4 address space conditional on deploying IPv6. Even
deliberately "wasting" IPv4 space could be strategic in prompting
adoption of IPv6 - this could be in the form of waiving regulations and
paperwork for service providers who have working IPv6 networks. What is
the point of efficiently utilizing and managing IPv4 space if it simply
preserves the status quo?

At some point, a large ISP or hosting provider should be able to
demonstrate that they broadly offer IPv6 DHCP to end users, and have
IPv6 accessible DNS and Web services before receiving new IPv4 space.
The bigger the existing IPv4 allocation, the more they have at stake it
terms of customers and one presumes, of budgets, implementation skills
and of an obligation of sorts to adopt IPv6.  Conversely, someone with a
smaller or no existing IPv4 allocation has no impact at all if they are
an early adopter or have IPv6 as some precondition.