[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Fri May 11 16:02:51 EDT 2007

>The IPv4 runout charts are a fiction that make the silly assumption
>that future behavior depends on past performance.  This isn't to say
>I think that fiction doesn't have value or that the Geoff is wrong in
>his assumptions (I'd make the same), but even he would, I suspect,
>agree that the estimates he provides are at best a best case scenario
>that ignores the socio-economic factors that will likely play an
>increasingly significant role in address allocations in the
>relatively near future.

yep - pretty much agreed.

The estimates I provide are based on a ;scenario that ignores the
socio-economic factors that will likely play an increasingly
significant role in address allocations in the relatively near future.

Behaviours commonly seen in conjunction with looming exhaustion of a
finite resource, such as hoarding and a rush on remaining resources
are not included in this model.

(last slide of http://www.potaroo.net/presentations/2007-05-09-ripe54-ipv4.pdf)

regards,

      Geoff