[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri May 11 15:09:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

On May 11, 2007, at 5:05 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> Rationale:
> Where is the graphical timeline for this proposal?

Graphics are a bit challenging to reproduce in ASCII.  However, I'll
see what I can do.

> Where are the IPv4 runout charts with the phase points superimposed on
> them?

The IPv4 runout charts are a fiction that make the silly assumption
that future behavior depends on past performance.  This isn't to say
I think that fiction doesn't have value or that the Geoff is wrong in
his assumptions (I'd make the same), but even he would, I suspect,
agree that the estimates he provides are at best a best case scenario
that ignores the socio-economic factors that will likely play an
increasingly significant role in address allocations in the
relatively near future.

> Where is the table that explains this all in a more readable fashion
> than plain prose?

Well, there was a table, but I had to remove it so the policy
proposal could be printed out on ASR-33s and Decwriters.  Or
something like that.

> I know that the policy must be written purely in prose, however the
> rationale can and should include other material when trying to explain
> something as complex as this proposal.

This may point to a flaw in the way policy proposals are published.

> Right now, I'd vote against this just because I don't know if I
> understand all the implications one way or the other. When in doubt,
> stick with the status quo.

When one is driving down a road that has a brick wall at the end, the
status quo is to set cruise control.  It isn't immediately apparent
that this can in away be considered "good stewardship".

Rgds,
-drc