[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 11 13:29:04 EDT 2007

Thus spake "G. Waleed Kavalec" <Kavalec at BSWA.com>
> I support this proposal, exactly because of the carrot/stick it
> provides; it gives sysadmins across the nation something very
> tangible to give their management.

I don't see much of a carrot.  The phases are arbitrary from management's
perspective since they depend on IANA's actions and what the various RIRs
are doing.  I'd much, much prefer that specific dates are put on the phases
(such as 1 Jan of each year starting in 2009, or something based on current
projections) because _that_ is something management can figure in when
planning their budgets.

I like the idea of progressively tighter requirements as we get closer to
exhaustion, and particularly that we are going to tell people what they'll
be long in advance of them happening instead of being based on policy action
at each meeting, which can't be predicted.

There's also no mention of whether this is intended to be retroactive, i.e.
interface with potential reclamation activities.  If it does, is ARIN
supposed to go back and start revoking allocations for people without IPv6
deployment plans the day we hit phase 1?  If so, that may affect a lot of
people's support for both proposals.  I'm also against third-party audits;
if we get to the point current review procedures are insufficient due to
widespread fraud, we need to debate such a controversial change separately.

Also, as David W. mentioned, this doesn't seem to have any consideration for
direct assignments, only allocations.  If that's the intent, which I'm not
sure I agree with, that should be called out.  If not, the same requirements
don't seem to make sense.

Last, this seems to be a global policy, and I understand it's expedient to
submit the same proposal to each RIR, but we need someone to revise this to
show how it'll fit into the NRPM.  I'm currently on the fence, given my
issues above, so I am not volunteering for that task.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov