[ppml] 240/4

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu May 3 23:38:37 EDT 2007

David,

Thanks for correcting my poor English!

> David Conrad wrote:
> The cost of redesignating class E space is the cost
> of writing an RFC, IANA editing a file, and IANA
> publishing that file on IANA's web site.
> ..[snip]..
> The cost of utilizing class E space will likely be
> significantly higher.

I don't think the IETF and/or IANA should go forward with redesignating
class E, because too many will assume that redesignated == useable at
nominal cost. You know, the old "perception is reality" thing.

> However, if you judge the cost of utilization high, don't
> use it. That is, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

That is the kind of irresponsible behavior (redesignating without any
concerns of cost or deployability) that the IETF unfortunately has a lot
of experience with.

Michel.