[ppml] 240/4

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Wed May 2 18:12:18 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:58:32PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
> On May 2, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
> > If you write the draft now and ram it through as an RFC in less
> > than a year,
> > you would be extremely lucky to find 1% of the globally deployed
> > end systems
> > actually able to exist in a network that has been assigned part of
> > that
> > block before 2012.
> >
> > It is worth writing it up for Greenfield deployments of closed
> > systems that
> > will not need to include any of the Win9x systems that will
> > continue to be
> > in use.
>
> This would appear to argue for RFC 1918 extension.
>
> Rgds,
> -drc

	on the presumption that we (the IP using community) really have
no intention of abandoning IPv4 anytime real soon, I think a method to
place previously unusable space into the useable pool is a good thing,
even it if takes years for some folks to recast their ASICs.
	its unrealistic to expect retrofit of all existant systems to
support such a change... the cost/benefit is not there.  but for new
systems, sure.

--bill