[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Mar 22 20:14:15 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:40:51AM -0400, Rich Emmings wrote:
> > What if ARIN were to implement a new fee schedule:
> >
> > Year Fees for IPv4 Addresses
> > 2007 Existing rates.
> > 2008 2 * 2007 Rates
> > <etc deleted>
>
> Raising prices has the same result + worse on the resource.  People will
> start getting space now if they don't think they need it, rather than
> waiting 2 years when they'll have to bleed through the nose.  There will be
> a dissensentive to return space.

I did not intend the prices to apply only to new allocations, but
to all existing allocations in my straw man idea.  Thus there would be
no incentive to get it early, you'd still pay the higher rate next year.

> The complete raminifications of IPv6 are not well enough understood.  Those
> of us rolling towards it, are running into subtleties and nuances that like
> getting porcupines to mate.  One source shows over 300 /32s out there, with
> about 2/3rds not in the routing table.  As these are /32's, these aren't
> small mom-and-pop shops.  We will get there.  We will not get there soon.

Unfortunately, understanding it or not it's the only option on the
table.  I don't see anyone in the IPX, TUBA, AppleTalk or DECNet
camps anymore.