[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Thu Mar 22 10:40:51 EDT 2007

> What if ARIN were to implement a new fee schedule:
>
> Year Fees for IPv4 Addresses
> 2007 Existing rates.
> 2008 2 * 2007 Rates
> <etc deleted>

Raising prices has the same result + worse on the resource.  People will
start getting space now if they don't think they need it, rather than
waiting 2 years when they'll have to bleed through the nose.  There will be
a dissensentive to return space.

A way to mitigate this, is a policy which takes place right now, not
providing time for people to work around it.  But rates**year is a little
draconian.

> Multiple suggestions that we need to push IPv6

The complete raminifications of IPv6 are not well enough understood.  Those
of us rolling towards it, are running into subtleties and nuances that like
getting porcupines to mate.  One source shows over 300 /32s out there, with
about 2/3rds not in the routing table.  As these are /32's, these aren't
small mom-and-pop shops.  We will get there.  We will not get there soon.

> Stanford

.... Returned their /8.

> EBay for IPv4

I don't think the RSA allows for this, as a reallocation requires that the
recipient show need.  IANA, ARIN and the other RIR's could also contact Ebay
and make it clear that auction of numbers is auction of property that the
seller doesn't own.  That doesn't mean there won't be a black market where
IP space can be leased or sold, but like all black markets, you risk getting
sold out to the authorities.

---

There needs to be an understanding of scarcity.  IP addresses are finite.
Domain names are not, but there's the good ones, and the 37 random letter
ones which are not as desirable.   Breatheable air, at this time, is
infinite.

Controls on the finite, always result in someone getting screwed.  An
administrator will try to arrange the greatest good for the greatest number,
within the constraints applied.  (which if you read that sentence, basically
it says nothing)

Rather than reinterate Economics, I'll leave it to the reader to review
the economics text of their choice.

---

Early allocations came in three sizes, head-of-a-pin, extra large, and
colossal.  There is probably some space there.  I wouldn't do audits (does
ARIN have the time) or mandatory 6 month reups (Do customers have the time)
before I'd just send out a letter explaining the problem and asking for
space.

The first FAX machine was worthless.  I had no one else to talk to.  If
returning IP address space back, so it can be reissued brings more customers
onto the network, the the folks who are trying to make a buck gain
customers, so maybe there's even some greed that can be appealed to, if
needed.