[ppml] IPv4 wind-down

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Mar 22 11:56:26 EDT 2007

I see a lot of people discussing what each person thinks the rest of the
world should do.  How about some discussion about what we each ARE doing
so we can provide some ideas and pro-active community.  I know that I
could use some knowledge and help tuning my strategy.  Please feel free
to refer me to a more appropriate venue if this is out of scope for this
area.  I offer this in the spirit of community, and I would greatly
appreciate hearing about your individual actual progress toward IPv6.  I
am sure there are a lot of people out there smarter than I that are
doing a better job of it.  Please share your insights and experiences.

While I have taken steps so that my network WILL survive the IPv4-IPv6
transition (unless IP just implodes) the steps that I have taken are so
far very preliminary.

I have made sure that all hardware is IPv6 capable as I replace it.  I
am doing this in a attritious mode and not expending special budget in
the name of IPv6.  As most business models amortize network hardware on
a 2-4 year schedule it is still early enough to plan IPv6 in to a
networks future without undue budget strain.  If I waited two or three
years to start this hardware transition I am afraid I might find myself
in a crisis situation which would be much more costly.

Inasmuch as possible I am doing the same thing with software, giving
preference to vendors whose products have some semblance of IPv6
functionality.  I am also actively lobbying with the software vendors
whenever I speak to them, letting them know that IPv6 is an important
feature and will make a difference in my future purchasing decisions.
At this point in time I am finding that software availability with IPv6
built in and actually working is very spotty.  I assume this will change
as the customer base evolves.

I am lobbying with my upstream providers, letting them know that in the
near future I will require IPv6 routing, and not just 6 over 4
tunneling..  I tell them in no uncertain terms that this will make a
difference in my future purchases.

I am socially networking with my peer organizations, building enthusiasm
as much as possible.  Plans are being developed to implement IPv6
experimental connections and tunnels in a small peer mesh.  Luckily I
have access to private fiber to some of my peers that we can use for
zero risk (well, as close as possible) experimentation. Our hope is to
get a proven and working private IPv6 network running before we actually
connect it to the world.

In what seems like it should have been the first step, but is more
appropriately a later step, I have been granted an IPv6 allocation.
This will allow us to actually experiment and start constructing our
IPv6 network.  My goal is to have it in place and working well before my
customers get vocal about demanding it.  Plus I won't be scrambling at
the last minute.

I know this doesn't sound like a lot of accomplishment, but I know you
all are working under the same constraints I am (under-staffed and under
budgeted at least as regards R&D) and day-to-day business must take
priority.

Kevin

$s/worry/happy,g