[ppml] IPv4 wind-down

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Mar 21 18:03:50 EDT 2007

At 09:37 AM 22/03/2007, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> > Shortly we will be burning through 2+ /8's per month, so
> > the logistics of reclaiming space will be challenged to
> > keep up, even if there are blocks that add up to that
> > much.
>
>An above ground v4 trade would be helpful. Allowing V4 to be
>treated as property, at least for legacy space, would be
>required. The economics of that are interesting,

"interesting" in that "all markets are interesting" or "intersting in
that "this market would be unique in a number of ways, only some of
which are predictable"?

>  and the
>outcome predictable.

Again its not clear to me what you mean by 'predictable."  Yes, in
effect a market for a good prices itself against the cost of
alternatives, and a market in IPv4 may well perceivce NATs and IPv6
as alternatives and prices within such an IPv4 market may well
reflect the perceived cost (and benefit) of such alternatives. My
question to you is whether this is what you mean by a predictable
outcome, or are you hinting at some other view of the behaviour of
such a market?

>  Seems like a smoother transition
>than tossing a bomb into the problem like the aforementioned
>policy seems
>to do, IMHO.

There is the view that its not the date of exhaustion that is the
issue for industry - its the transition from the address distribution
system we use today to what happens thereafter that is critical to
industry stability here. The entire issue of demand levels of
continued deployment of IPv4 and the likely levels of industry
attention to alternatives look to be critical factors here when
thinking about such transitions. Its an topic that appears to call
for a broader (multi-disciplinary?) approach to understand the full
extent of the industry dynamics here, and it certainly appears to be
more than just the perspective of looking at this as a choice set  of
technically feasible alternatives being presented to a relatively
homogenous industry that is capable of making coordinated decisions.

Geoff