[ppml] Getting aggressive about vetting

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Mar 15 20:18:47 EDT 2007

At 4:00 PM -0700 3/15/07, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>If ARIN and the other registries do NOT "do the right thing" and get
>agressive about "vetting" the IP allocations, but merely continue to
>act as "stewards" then we will have a failure, ...

Ted -

   I suspect that ARIN will get as aggressive about "vetting"
   IP allocations (new, existing, or both) as ARIN's approved
   Internet resource policies allow.   The cool thing is that
   you (collective) get to actual set the policies.  The downside
   is that there has to be an actual policy proposal before
   there can be any new policy...

   What do you propose?  ARIN ask for a third-party audits
   of IP address usage?  Perhaps company officers should
   actually sign & attest to the accuracy of the applications?
   Should ARIN partner with equipment manufacturers to
   insert secret hidden remote monitoring options??  There
   is a very wide range of possible ways that RIR's can get
   more aggressive in vetting new (and existing) resource
   allocations, but you've got to be a little more specific
   so that a proposal can be: 1) Written, 2) Approved, and
   3) Implemented by ARIN.

/John