[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Mar 15 19:00:36 EDT 2007

Regulation is what happens when a problem CANNOT be solved by enough
people "doing the right thing".  It is the end result of a failure.

For example, we don't have laws that make it a felony to "take cuts"
in the line at a movie theatre because the majority of people "do the
right thing" and wait their turn.  Thus, no need for regulation.

But we do have regulation of the electric power industry in the US
because when we tried deregulating it, assuming that people would
"do the right thing" we found that they would not, and we got Enron.

If ARIN and the other registries do NOT "do the right thing" and get
agressive about "vetting" the IP allocations, but merely continue to
act as "stewards" then we will have a failure, and regulation will
result.

Ted