[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Mar 14 20:25:04 EDT 2007

At 15:56 -0700 3/14/07, David Conrad wrote:

>Given inertia and your observation of human nature, it would seem a
>likely outcome of the impending IPv4 free pool runout will be a vast
>swamp of IPv4 NAT end points, interconnecting and interconnected with
>private networks (either IPv4 tunneled through IPv6 or RFC 1918 space).
>
>Blech.

And this is why I am interested in this proposal being discussed.

I agree that the proposal as written is far from perfect, to say the
least.  I want to get past that, but then again, it is the only
proposal on the table at the moment.  Well, on the serving tray as
it's been bounced from the table.

I do see that it is possible that ARIN ought to be in position to
terminate the distribution of IPv4 space under the term of
"stewardship."

ARIN has held a position of neutrality (minus relaxed fees for IPv6 -
sorry Lee, I don't mean to start another branch into fees, but I'm
just mentioning some past practice) of IPv4 and IPv6 because it is
not ARIN's place to promote a technology.  That's cool, and it works
if innovation is happening elsewhere and in response to market demand.

It is also not ARIN's place to take back resources that are being
properly used.

But the time is coming when maybe, just maybe, ARIN should take on
the role, in concert with the other RIRs and IANA, of retiring IPv4
for the good of the Internet.

Imagine a day in which a lot of the network outside of the ARIN
region is IPv6 and only ARIN is still using IPv4.  We'd have a
network ripped in half (well, not 50/50) with our region falling
behind the rest of the world (in IPvX).

Imagination running wild - there are 2.3 billion living in the
largest *two* nations in the APNIC region.  There are what, 0.4
billion in the ARIN region?  50 years from now, where's the center of
the Internet going to be?  If now we  feel we are and we are
comfortable that we have enough IPv4 and can stand NAT, will the
following generations of engineers thank us for standing still when
the center has shifted away?

Perhaps we do need to have a proposal that has an overt goal of
retiring IPv4 and replacing it with IPv6.  I say this now, after
having been a critic of IPv6 because I don't see market forces making
the shift happen.  Perhaps this is a case where we want ARIN to help
lead a transition and not just be a servant of the industry.
Perhaps, perhaps.

I'm just sayin' is all...this is mighty hypothetical and is at the
root cause of why I am interested in this.