[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-8: Transfer Policy Clarifications

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Mar 8 05:32:36 EST 2007

> And why are they different for ISPs vs end users for the same size
> blocks? The reasoning I've heard is that ISPs are expected to be
> doing more with SWIPs and thus generate expense, but is this really
> reasonable or fair? As a member with a /22 and a handful of SWIPs
> that rarely change and no expectation of adding or removing any
> (after all, SWIPs for /32's aren't done), what expense structure am I
> really incurring on ARIN?

In order for your SWIP records to be available for queries in the whois
database, you have to pay ARIN enough money to sustain it as a
functioning organization. That includes a share of the President's
salary, the Board of Trustees meeting expenses, the cost of all the
servers, the electric bills, and the contributions to the staff pension
plans.

The current fee structure puts everyone on a more-or-less level playing
field which is important in an organization like ARIN.

--Michael Dillon