[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-8: Transfer Policy Clarifications

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Mar 8 05:27:39 EST 2007

> >> ARIN DOES NOT LEASE RESOURCES.  ARIN DOES NOT SELL RESOURCES.
>
> hmmm.  then why are fees proportional to the amound of resources
> one holds?

They are NOT proportional to the amount of resources one holds.

Instead, they are ROUGHLY proportional to the amount of work that must
be done by ARIN staff when processing applications and dealing with
SWIPs, POCs etc. Organizations with larger networks are more work for
ARIN staff and therefore pay a higher fee. This fee model is required to
sustain the organization.

When I submit an application for additional addresses, my organization
pays no additional fees. The application gets processed based on
justified requirements regardless of how big or small. The fees that we
pay are not for addresses but to sustain the organization. We have also
decided that any organization who wishes to get an ARIN allocation, must
sustain the organization because that places all of us on a more-or-less
level playing field.

--Michael Dillon