[ppml] Proposed Policy: eGLOP Multicast Address Assignments - not accepted by AC as formal policy proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Mar 2 17:59:32 EST 2007

In a message written on Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:19:22PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> I must admit that I do not understand this reasoning, and intend to
> petition / appeal this.
>
> RFC 2050 / BCP 12 merely says WRT multicast that

I agree with you, to quote a little further:

   This document does not describe private Internet address space and
   multicast address space.  It also does not describe regional and
   local refinements of the global rules and guidelines.

   This document can be considered the base set of operational
   guidelines in use by all registries.  Additional guidelines may be
   imposed by a particular registry as appropriate.

It would seem to me that 3180 could be interpreted as "Additional
guidelines" and thus I don't see a 2050 problem.

I think the bigger problem here is, what is ARIN to do?  Reading
3180 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3180.html) there's no registry
function.  You take a prefix, you add your AS number.  Boom, done.
There's nothing for ARIN to allocate, track, report on or otherwise
administer.

Since the purpose of a policy proposal is to change the NRPM, and
this references no sections of the NRPM, what specifcally do you
want ARIN to do?  Perhaps if you rephrased in the form "Insert into
section x.y.z of the NRPM the following text:" it would be more
clear.