[ppml] Critical or not and at what size (Was: How to get a IPv6 /32 the cheap way: go to AFRINIC)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Jun 27 10:25:46 EDT 2007

Kosuke Ito wrote:
> Please read carefully about the section of Critical Infrastructure.
>
> AfriNIC is eligible to have a /32 by the policy.

How exactly is a RIR more "Critical" to the Internet than Google,
YouTube, MySpace or whatever site somebody uses daily?

I understand if one would state "A RIR is critical as it provides
service X", but then the RIR itself is not the critical infra, it is
that service. RIPE itself doesn't have a /32 nor a /48, they are using a
/48 that they have from an ISP out of PA space. K.ROOT *does* fall under
critical infra though, and that has, according to that policy a prefix.

If one states "but they have a DNS server", then how does that make my
DNS server not critical? Especially a DNS server by for instance Akamai
powering hunderds of well used domains?

[..APNIC policy..]
> The maximum assignment made under these terms is /32 per operator.

And this is the important portion of that part: "The maximum".
That doesn't mean that if you can't justify it that you per default
should be getting a /32. The default should be a /48, and more if one
can justify it.

Greets,
 Jeroen