[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 18 14:32:47 EDT 2007

Stephen,

On Jun 17, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> What do you see as the incentive that will be driving the shift to
>> the "loc/id split"?
>
> Failure of routers to handle the number of identifiers being handed
> out.

Wouldn't the more natural reaction to this be route filtering?

I'll admit that I have some skepticism that the Internet community is
going to spend the money necessary redeploy IPv6, particularly as the
need for that redeployment would be the success of IPv6.  I used to
be a strong proponent of a loc/id split, but have pretty much given
up since it seems people far smarter than me argue there isn't really
a problem.

> The current consensus criteria for "deserving" a routing slot can
> be found in the NRPM.

Is it just me or is there appears to be a disconnect here:

- On the one hand, we're told that routers can today handle an order
of magnitude more "routing slots" and over the long term, can handle
oodles more and that the RIRs don't do "routability".

- On the other hand, ARIN policies are oriented towards conserving
"routing slots" and people are proposing fairly obscene hacks to
obtain address space that won't (at least in theory) consume "routing
slots".

It's probably just me...

Rgds,
-drc