[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Sun Jun 10 18:03:00 EDT 2007

It costs money to get an AS number, this may be a dis-incentive.

BGP requires some thought and complexity to setup, while there are
multiple "plug and play" load balancing/NAT hack appliances out there.

BGP may not be a supported product offering on your basic service, so
you may have to upgrade your service plan and pay setup/engineering
charges to get BGP.

A PI /24 may be unroutable - you run the risk of being filtered. This
used to be a big concern a few years ago. (The fact that it doesn't seem
to be any more seems to point to the fact that the initial routing table
size panic is over).

These are all dis-incentives to running out and getting an ASN and PI
/24 unless you need it.

If you can fudge justification of a PA /24,. you can do it for a PI /24,
so I don't see the difference. If you can fudge it, that seems like an
enforcement/administrative issue, not a policy issue.

A first hurdle to getting a PI/24  allocation might be to show you are
running with a PA /24

Taking a look at the big picture - if an organization can legitimately
justify its requirements and knows enough about what it is doing to want
an ASN and a PI /24 initial allocation, I don't think ARIN should be
getting in the way.   Current policy can scarcely be justified any more,
and that just leaves it looking like the anti-trust/competition limiting
policy that it inadvertently is.

We should not rely on knee-jerk reactions and circular reasoning to
shape policy - e.g. the usual address space depletion and routing table
explosion arguments, where trying to conserve the status quo for as long
as possible simply delays the adoption or development of newer
technology (IPv6 and a solution (other than Moore's Law) to routing.

I think people would be very hard pressed to prove that this policy
would "break the Internet" which would seem to be the only arguments
against it.
Absolute worst case is you may see an earlier transition to IPv6 (many
would say this is a plus!) and some routing black holes for the
newcomers who can't route their new PI /24s.