[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jun 7 13:19:02 EDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:50 AM, John Santos wrote:
>> On May 31, 2007, at 6:40 PM, John Santos wrote:
>>> All I'm saying is people should be entitled
>>> to permanent IP addresses, for as long as they need them
>> Think about this clearly.  Where is this infinite resource coming
>> from?
> If 128 bits isn't enough, then maybe its time to start thinking about
> ipv7!  :-)

Realistically, it isn't 128 bits.

64 bits off the bottom are used for the EUI.
8 or 16 bits in the middle are used for local topology.
3 bits off the top are used for format specifier.

So, it is actually 45 or 53 bits.

> I didn't say anything about routing.  I was talking about addresses.

Generally, the two are intertwined.  If you don't care about routing,
pick a number at random.  They're just integers after all.

Rgds,
-drc