[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Thu Jun 7 05:50:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Jo Rhett wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 6:40 PM, John Santos wrote:
> > All I'm saying is people should be entitled
> > to permanent IP addresses, for as long as they need them
>
> Think about this clearly.  Where is this infinite resource coming from?

If 128 bits isn't enough, then maybe its time to start thinking about
ipv7!  :-)

> 1. IP address space is limited although inexpensive.
>
> 2. Prefix slots in router memory are even more limited, and much more
> costly.

I didn't say anything about routing.  I was talking about addresses.

Routing only comes into the picture if you want to make the addresses
visible off-site.  If you want to peer with someone else (i.e. a private
network), only the two of you need to put anything in your routing
tables, and you only need to add a single route.  If you want to peer
with a handful of other sites, then you only need a handful of routes.

There are lots of uses for addresses that need to be globaly unique,
but don't need to be routed.  See all the talk about doorknobs for
a fairly silly example.

> Cost #1 is low and is paid once.
>
> Cost #2 is very high, and is paid by *EVERYONE* who is connected.
> Not together, but each individually.

Cost #3 is zero for unrouted addresses.

> This isn't like raising taxes, where a tiny hike creates a lot of
> money.  This is like asking every citizen to repurchase their home/
> car/etc so that someone else can avoid thinking about their business
> model.

Huh?  Are you going off again about how people need to be able to
renumber at the drop of a hat, and just because you did it once and
it was easy, no one else should complain?  I could edit all my DNS
zone files in 2 minutes with a TECO macro.  That isn't renumbering.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.