[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jul 31 20:31:28 EDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> can each extant enterprise /8 be carved up into 64K /24's without
> exploding
> the global routing table / default free zone / internet core?

I'm told YFRV have indicated we're currently at 10% what routers
today can handle and by the time we see the shattering of legacy
space into the routing system, the limits will be much higher.
Plenty o' room...

NOTE: I do not believe this, however the people paying the bills will
use arguments along these lines in CEO and board room discussions and
guess where network operators' input will land?

Anyhow, there won't be an explosion.  As Randy points out elsewhere,
routing table growth is boiling the frog. See http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Boiling_frog or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Tragedy_of_the_commons (Wikipedia is great! :-)).

Rgds,
-drc