[ppml] More on Kremen/Cohen

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:22:09 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> wrote:
> More of a subterfuge than I thought:  I thought the AS had been
> reassigned to _someone_else_ to unfairly keep it from Kremen.

> Turns out, ARIN apparently transferred the AS11083 to LACnic to avoid
> court jurisdiction, and KEEP IT IN COHEN'S HANDS.

How about ARIN apparently created the proper referral record and LACNIC
took up its responsibility for maintaining and recording the AS
contact information,
because according to the record it's a  network in Mexico, AND Mexico is in
LACNIC's  region and networks in Mexico are not in ARIN's region or
responsibility?

Sounds fairly innocuous to me.

What do you suggest it means to "transfer" an AS?
ARIN doesn't "have" any ASes in the first place.

An AS is an identity, not a "thing"  transferred any more than your name
is something you can transfer; any more than you could find someone walking
down the street and transfer your name to them, or they could transfer their
name to you.

An AS is not 'transferred' by a change in responsible registries any more than
the name "DEAN ANDERSON" has been transferred, if you move to a different
country, so you now appear on the rolls of a different Motor Vehciles office.

The only thing that is changed is who advertises your name, and who you go to
in order to update the information.

And no, your former country of residence doesn't get to force your new country
of residence to revoke your driver's license in the new country, although, they
can still force the Motor Vehicle's office in your country of former
residence to
issue your license to a different person, it just wouldn't make much sense.

--
-J