[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6 -> IPV4 deprecation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 31 15:22:14 EDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Mark Beland wrote:

> I'd do that and take it a step further,
>
> IPV4 deprecation:
> In tandem with a measure like this, make a press release that after a
> certain date,
> "IPV4 will be obsolete" (I'm probably ruffling feathers here by saying
> this)
> After said date, Arin will no longer publish or maintain any ipv4
> whois
> information,
> remove the in-addr.arpa zone. After all, the goal here is to have an
> ipv6 only global
> network - right?! (maybe we don't even agree on that objective)

I don't see any reason that is the goal.  I think the goal is to have a
network which allows generally ubiquitous IPv6 connectivity at least
to all devices that need to participate in the "global" internet.  I do
not think that IPv4 deprecation is something that should be helped
along by anything other than market forces and the costs of
maintaining it.

As IPv6 gains ubiquity, ISPs will want to terminate IPv4 services due
to cost.  If there is customer demand to keep it running, then, the ISPs
will start charging more to cover those costs.  This will shrink the
customer base for IPv4, causing further price increases for IPv4
services until such time as some form of balance between the demand
and the cost is reached.
> Arin can't force people not to use IPV4, but by publicly declaring it
> 'obsolete', I would surmise
> that it would create a certain marketing push to entice migration.
> Make
> users think that
> the Internet is going to stop working unless their on IPV6.

IPv4 deprecation will not encourage IPv6 adoption.  In fact, I think
that
such an announcement from ARIN would merely serve to create an
array of competing IPv4 registries to offer "replacement" services.

Oh, and, in case you hadn't noticed, ARIN doesn't control in-addr.arpa.
They only control several of the third level zones within in-addr.arpa.

> Of course, this would make more sense if IANA and everyone else did
> this.....

It could only work if IANA did it in terms of deprecating the in-
addr.arpa
zone.  Fortunately, I think the IANA is smarter than this.

> I really don't understand the talk about resource reclamation,
> legacy or
> otherwise,
> we're just delaying the inevitable... I just see us (the internet
> community as a whole)
> being stuck running dual ipv4 + ipv6 networks to the detriment of
> all...

As an author and proponent of at least one of the resource reclamation
proposals on the table, I can assure you it is not intended to delay the
inevitable.  There is no intent in the proposal, nor, on my side any
belief
that it will in any way extend the useful life of IPv4 or increase
the IPv4
free pool in a meaningful way.  The intent of reclamation proposals, to
my knowledge, is to get those blocks which are deprecated marked as
such so that they can not be used  so easily for abuse.

Owen