[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6 -> IPV4 deprecation

Mark Beland mark at mcsnet.ca
Tue Jul 31 14:27:24 EDT 2007

I'd do that and take it a step further,

IPV4 deprecation:
In tandem with a measure like this, make a press release that after a
certain date,
"IPV4 will be obsolete" (I'm probably ruffling feathers here by saying
this)
After said date, Arin will no longer publish or maintain any ipv4 whois
information,
remove the in-addr.arpa zone. After all, the goal here is to have an
ipv6 only global
network - right?! (maybe we don't even agree on that objective)

Arin can't force people not to use IPV4, but by publicly declaring it
'obsolete', I would surmise
that it would create a certain marketing push to entice migration. Make
users think that
the Internet is going to stop working unless their on IPV6.

Of course, this would make more sense if IANA and everyone else did
this.....

I really don't understand the talk about resource reclamation, legacy or
otherwise,
we're just delaying the inevitable... I just see us (the internet
community as a whole)
being stuck running dual ipv4 + ipv6 networks to the detriment of all...