[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6

Craig Finseth craig.finseth at state.mn.us
Tue Jul 31 15:15:40 EDT 2007

This is one of the more intelligent proposals that I have seen on this
list lately...

   I'm sure the following idea has to have occured to better minds than mine,
   but I _cannot_ see what the downside to it is --
   Proposed:
     A) every IPv4 block assignment includes the assignment of an 'equivalent-
	size'  IPv6 address block ( e.g. assuming '1 IPv4 /32' == '1 IPv6 /64)
     B) _subsequent_ v4 requests must show the required utilization levels of
	*both* the allocated IPv4 *and* IPv6 space.  With "utilization" of IPv6
	space requiring the actual deployment of functional machines in that
	address-space.
     C) As the pool of available IPv4 addresses gets smaller, the ratio of  the
	relative size of the IPv6 allocation vs the IPv4 allocation _increases_.

Craig A. Finseth                craig.finseth at state.mn.us
Systems Architect               +1 651 201 1011 desk
State of Minnesota, Office of Enterprise Technology
658 Cedar Ave                   +1 651 297 5368 fax
St Paul MN 55155                +1 651 297 1111 NOC, for reporting problems