[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 31 14:34:50 EDT 2007

> To push IPv6 forward, we have to have enough users with IPv6 addresses
> to convince the venders there is a market for IPv6 hardware.  The only
> way to do this is to make Provider Independent address space widely
> available to organizations with only a couple of hundred nodes.

leaps over tall concepts in a single bound, he does!

if the users can not deploy without gear, then they can not use the
address space, so they can not justify it.  if they had the gear today,
they would be trying v6 off their dual-stack transit provider today.
they are not.  the reason is that they do not care.  they just want
their mtv.

giving PI space to anyone who passes on the street corner is not gonna
do one bleeding thing for ipv6 other than make a future mess and have
folk screaming about those who got space in the big give-away of the
2008-2010 era, just as they scream at legacy holders today.

randy