[ppml] Authentication of Legacy Resources

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Mon Jul 30 18:02:06 EDT 2007

Keith Medcalf wrote:

> So, in summary, ARIN provides almost no useful services to me -- and certainly none which are worth US$100 per year.  I am required to keep my registration information updated, which I do and it is even though it has *not* changed, other than the rDNS delegations, since before the formation of ARIN.
>
> The only valuable service that ARIN could provide would be some IPv6 PI space but that is unlikely to come to pass, as far as I can see as I am not qualified for it or I would have to dissemble my way to it (not likely).
>
> I do *not* sign lock-in contracts.  If you suck I want the option to immediately tell you when to go shove yourself and NOT pay you any more money.  This applies to telcos, Cell Carriers, CableCos, Internet Carriers, etc.  I do *NOT* do "specials" (free calling for the first six months and for the rest of the three year contract you will be ripped off at every turn).  I do NOT want PA space -- that is fine for little rubber people who use gmail, but not for me.
>
> Because of this it is extremely unlikely that I will touch IPv6 before IPv4 runout (or quite likely, afterwards either) except if it is though someone else's network.  I am simply not interested in subjecting myself to the vagaries of dealing with the brain-dead and the incompetent (having PI space is fantastic for weeding out the incompetent).

Keith,

If a "PIv6 for legacy holders with RSA and efficient use" policy were
adopted, would you be willing/able to demonstrate efficient
utilization of a direct IPv4 assignment or allocation covered by a
current ARIN RSA in order to get an IPv6 PI block from ARIN?

Would adoption of such a policy prompt you to adopt IPv6?  Would you
support such a policy proposal?

Thanks,
Scott