[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jul 30 15:00:57 EDT 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Peter Eisch wrote:

> On 7/30/07 1:27 PM, "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:
>
>> Owen and I have submitted a policy proposal (2007-14) that would
>> allow ARIN
>> to review resources for utilization after the fact.  In the case
>> of direct
>> assignments, one would need to be using substantially less than
>> 50% of one's
>> block to be in any danger, and even then there's a specific
>> exemption for
>> legacy space (e.g. your block).  OTOH, that exemption could be
>> removed from
>> the policy later on, if consensus could be achieved to do so.
>>

> Would this "danger clause" apply to /24's or just assignments
> larger than
> /24?

It would apply to any size assignment or allocation made by ARIN,
but, that's
only one possible way to be in compliance.  There are situations
(critical
infrastructure, for example) where a /24 could remain justified even
with
far  less than 50% utilization.  This policy doesn't attempt to
address all
the complexities of ARIN policy.  It merely attempts to provide a
mechanism
for allowing ARIN to better ensure conformance with that policy while
trying to provide sufficient safeguards against abuse by ARIN in that
process.

Owen