[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Jul 30 14:03:23 EDT 2007

> > ... if 25% of the net makes money when the ipv6 switch happens, and 50%
> > fails to lose money, and 25% loses money, then the net survives.  but
> > depending on which % each of us falls into, we might say we got tutored.
>
> what is gonna kill small isps, as i have said before, is the cost of a dfz
> router that can load and hold the fragmented routing table we are going to
> see due to v4 and v6 nat frag.  as i said, it will be like the small telcos
> having to buy $10m switches to stay in the ss7 game.

agreed.

> and if you believe the vendor marketing folk (who wear engineer clothes)
> that their routers can operationally handle 2m routes today, then i have
> this bridge you can buy real cheap.

it wouldn't matter.  even if i believed that an affordable router could
exist that handled 2mR, i wouldn't believe that global bgp could converge
if everybody had such a router, nor would i believe that there would be
room for customer traffic on links that had to carry that reachability churn.