[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jul 30 13:47:22 EDT 2007

Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> for another thing you seem to assume that the step function in value
>>> (customer's reachability) and cost (training, equipment, operations) for
>>> those who choose an IPv6 alternative _as a result of_ IPv4 "costs" rather
>>> than having planned for it, will be so low as to not be called a
> that's net-centric thinking.  the internet won't die from this affliction, i
> agree with that.  a lot of individual isp's will die from it, and, a lot of
> individual enterprise career paths will be flattened by it too.  if 25% of the
> net makes money when the ipv6 switch happens, and 50% fails to lose money, and
> 25% loses money, then the net survives.  but depending on which % each of us
> falls into, we might say we got tutored.

what is gonna kill small isps, as i have said before, is the cost of a
dfz router that can load and hold the fragmented routing table we are
going to see due to v4 and v6 nat frag.  as i said, it will be like the
small telcos having to buy $10m switches to stay in the ss7 game.

and if you believe the vendor marketing folk (who wear engineer clothes)
that their routers can operationally handle 2m routes today, then i have
this bridge you can buy real cheap.

randy