[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jul 30 11:56:19 EDT 2007

Thus spake "James Hess" <mysidia at gmail.com>
> If ARIN formulates a special RSA for them where they get a free
> waiver from the rules and a waiver from the fees... then nothing at
> all is really accomplished.

Yes, something would be accomplished.  For one thing, ARIN would know that
the block is still being used, not abandoned.  For another, it would make it
much harder for spammers to hijack blocks (a very common problem, according
to staff at the last meeting) if ARIN had a contract with the legitimate
holder.

Getting legacy blocks under policy would be nice, as would collecting the
same fees non-legacy holders pay for the same services, but neither of those
are necessary for the community to benefit.

> I say with certainty the carrot would not have close to 100%
> success, and it's best to have the stick ready up front, rather than
> keep it hidden behind the back "for later".

I find it distasteful to discuss sticks before we try to come up with
carrots and see how effective they are.  At minimum, it shows bad faith.
Likewise, I don't see much purpose in discussing carrots until ARIN does
some outreach to at least make legacy holders aware of ARIN and give them an
opportunity to join on the existing terms.

We've heard from legacy holders here that want to join and can't figure out
how, and there are thousands that have never even heard of ARIN.  IMHO,
those problems need to be solved before we discuss carrots _or_ sticks, and
the success level of those efforts will dictate what later discussions will
look like.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov