[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sat Jul 28 17:43:00 EDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > I concur. The primary value to the exercise lies in convincing IPv4
> > registrants to deploy IPv6 prior to IPv4 depletion.
>
> if they are not asking for more ipv4 space, this is to the community's
> advantage, why?

Proposition: it is valuable to the community as a whole for IPv6
deployment to become sufficiently ubiquitous that an assignment of
IPv6 addresses holds the same or greater utility as an assignment of
IPv4 addresses.

Observation: Ubiquitous rarely means less than 90%.

Observation: Less that 50% of the IPv4 community has an expanding need
for IPv4 addresses.

Observation: IPv6 is of essentially no value to anyone today due to
its use by less than 10% of the community.

Conclusion: For IPv6 to become useful to any part of the community,
organizations who DO NOT need additional IPv4 addresses must deploy
IPv6.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--