[ppml] Legacy users and ARIN duties

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Jul 28 13:50:20 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > If there is really going to be an IPv6 Internet "real soon now" why the hell
> > does anybody care about getting fees/RSAs from the legacy holders of IPv4
> > address space after all these years.
>
> because ARIN is a steward of this public resource.

A steward does not blindly run out of resources.  Oil companies also
have to manage limited resources. As the prospects dry up, the price
goes up.

I'm not buying the 'public resource steward' assertions. A steward has
to account for all the resources. Those not not yet used, there are
several different kinds of ARIN legacies, the NSI legacies, and the SRI
legacies.

If address space is a problem, the very _first_ thing that should happen
is to slow down the assignment of new resources.  In contrast, ARIN is
_accelerating_ the delegation process. I'm a little dubious of this
combination.  The conjuction has a lot in common with the effects of
people trying to hoard up the remaining space, and people at ARIN
helping them do so.

> some of us who think that legacy space should be subject to regulation
> don't want to take it away, we just don't want it floating around
> loose during what promises to be a very interesting, and inevitable,
> transition to IPv6.

Huh???  Legacy space "floating around loose"???  What the hxxl does that
mean?

The transition will be a lot more "interesting" if ARIN blindly just
allocates space until it is all gone one day.  "Stewards" are expected
to avoid abrupt changes.

The sliding 10 year plan I outlined eases these effects to well past the
time where IPv6 should be dominant and preferred.

I'm glad you brought up Enron. The Enron Board had to give back a lot of
money for their mismanagement.  Bechtel just returned a Billion dollars
to Boston/MA/Feds for their BigDig engineering and construction
failures.  I think an abrupt 'oops we're out of space' is going to
result in some very definite legal challenges to ARIN and its
management.

		--Dean