[ppml] Legacy users and ARIN duties

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jul 27 11:12:51 EDT 2007

> From: Cliff Bedore <cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com>
>
> As a legacy address holder and newcomer to the list, I'm a little concerned
> about all the effort to get us to join ARIN/sign RSAs etc.  ...

welcome.

> If there is really going to be an IPv6 Internet "real soon now" why the hell
> does anybody care about getting fees/RSAs from the legacy holders of IPv4
> address space after all these years.

because ARIN is a steward of this public resource.

> The only reason I can think of is that nobody really believes IPv6 is going
> to happen and all that legacy space (however much that is) is beginning to
> look more and more attractive as there is less and less available.  People
> are sharpening their knives at how to carve up the legacy space.

there is no possible non-IPv6 future.  without continuous growth in the number
of connected devices, the internet fails, both politically, economically, and
technologically.

there is, however, more than one way that the transition can occur.  examples
include continuous regulation in the form of the RIRs, as well as deregulation
similar to what happened with the electricity markets and a company called
Enron a few years back.  our mileage MUST vary.

some of us who think that legacy space should be subject to regulation don't
want to take it away, we just don't want it floating around loose during what
promises to be a very interesting, and inevitable, transition to IPv6.