[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Steve Bertrand steveb at eagle.ca
Thu Jul 26 14:48:23 EDT 2007

> There is a wide range of things that can be done legally with policy.
> We have an obligation as participants in this open policy formation
> process to help develop a consensus of what is fair and ethical, as well
> as what meets the needs of both individuals and the Internet community
> as a whole.
>
> My opinion is that this policy proposal puts too much emphasis on
> authorizing the "stick" approach before the "carrot" approach has
> received any significant attention and effort.

I haven't been on this list all that long, and furthermore, this is the
first day I've actually had any input into it.

I'd like to know if there is a loosely-knit general consensus on what
the 'carrot' approach is, only because most of the discussions I've
followed follow general 'punish first' and 'contempt prior to
investigation' type attitudes.

Also (OT, I don't know where else to post this), it would be interesting
to know an approximation of how many ARIN IPv4 holders on this list
helping develop proposals/policies are actually utilizing IPv6 space,
and to what extent they use it.

We (small independent ISP) have a /21 (from ARIN), and I have only begun
to dabble with v6. I wish I had the time and resources to getting up to
speed on how IPv6 works as well as I know how v4 hangs together.

There is nothing more I'd like to get all of my core infrastructure
internally and up to our upstreams IPv6 enabled, and even provide our
end-users the option to connect to us via v6 as well. However, time and
personnel are a huge hurdle for us. Almost all of my core infrastructure
equipment is already capable of v6.

Steve