[ppml] Dean Anderson, 130.105.0.0/16 and the future of the IPv4 Internet.]

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Jul 26 13:44:28 EDT 2007

Two messages, each in turn.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, David Williamson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:07:00AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > 3. Alter the procedure to remove board members. I have been in
> > discussion with Lee Howard, and there is no way to remove Vixie before
> > October, about when his term expires.
>
> Very well...this gives you two choices.  Either wait for his term to
> expire and lobby for him to be replaced by someone else, or start the
> removal process.  You won't get Mr. Vixie removed any faster unless you
> convince him to step down, which I see as very unlikely.

Yes. There are two choices for Vixie in particular.. However, there is
also the question of removing a Board Member for misconduct in less than
4 months.  It takes less time to impeach the president of the United
States, or a Federal Judge.  But, it does appear that in no case can we
remove _Vixie_ in less than 4 months.

We can, however, make policy so that Board Members can be more quickly
removed in the future for misconduct.  I think this is the most sensible
path forward related to policy.

I think there is also a policy issue in the subject of slander of IP
Address Registrations maintained by ARIN.

So there are two policy issues to be worked. I'll try to refocus my
efforts into the form of policy proposals.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Joel M Snyder wrote:

> > 3. Alter the procedure to remove board members. I have been in
> > discussion with Lee Howard, and there is no way to remove Vixie
> > before October, about when his term expires.
>
> Well, given that he's a bright guy, understands the reality of the
> Internet, isn't a total crackpot, and brings a couple of decades of
> wisdom to the whole picture, I'm not sure why the ARIN community would
> want to...

Smart has nothing to do with it.  Scooter Libby was a smart guy, too.
Bill Clinton was a smart guy. Bernie Ebbers was a smart guy.

Most people consider lying to be a serious offense. If we restrict
ourselves to the deceptions given on the PPML list, then we have Vixie
lying about SORBS:

> > > ISC does not host SORBS.

This statement is just like Clinton saying he didn't have sex with that
girl. Then we have these facts, contrary to Vixie's statements:

> > http://www.iadl.org/bm/bill-manning-story.html
> >
> > 204.152.186.189 still resolves to www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net.

This is quite like Lewinski's stained dress. After the stained dress
came to light, Clinton stopped claiming he didn't have sex with
Lewinsky. By contrast, Vixie is still denying providing services to
SORBS.

Then we also have a slew of statements like the one about Mitch Halmu
saying that Vixie caused 9/11. Vixie's statement is untrue. Vixie's
statement is not an exaggeration, its a falsehood, a lie.  Its
misconduct because it comes from an ARIN board member on the ARIN Public
Policy Mailing List.

And we just seen a message from Vixie, on a serious list, on a serious
topic, in a serious role as ARIN Board Member, slandering my sanity.
This is also misconduct, and also has legal implications for ARIN.

I think its obviously bad public policy to have ARIN officials lying on
ARIN lists.

		--Dean

617 344 9000