[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Jul 26 10:44:27 EDT 2007

      On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
    > It's up to counsel to consider the legal exposure that policy (or proposals)
    > creates and raise those issues with the BoT.  The BoT is obligated to take
    > action to keep ARIN safe.  The rest of us have been told to create policy
    > that makes sense for the community as if there were no legal ramifications.
    > If there are, counsel will tell us, and we (or, worst case, the BoT) can
    > react to that competent advice.  There is little sense in us acting as
    > armchair lawyers when ARIN employs counsel to keep us out of trouble.

I would second this.  Our present counsel is particularly good at this,
and has given us (both the membership at large and the BoT specifically) a
heck of a lot of really good advice.  If we need it, he'll tell us so.  We
don't need to second-guess him on that, or try to do a half-assed job of
his job, to save him work.

We've got some really pressing policy issues before us right now, as we
run to the end of the IPv4 space, so we really do need all of you
participating as actively as you can in the policy-formation process.  We
have very little time remaining, so any substantive policy changes that
you do want to see happen need to be proposed and debated and dealt with
_at our next meeting_.

We also need you to be thinking about the implications and potential
repercussions of the policies that are being bandied about in other
regions, and those that are being proposed as global policies.  As we run
to the end of the v4 space, it would probably be wise to coordinate with
other regions, to avoid too much gaming of policies, runs-on-the-bank, et
cetera; at the same time, other regions may pass policies without the
benefit of our experience, which we already know wouldn't work here.  So
look at them carefully, talk about what they mean, on the list, and be
prepared for vigorous debate at the meeting in Albuquerque.

                                -Bill