[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Jul 26 10:26:40 EDT 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> The disgruntled ARIN member decides to sue ARIN and points
> out to the courts that ARIN is materially damaging their business
> and is refusing to allocate address blocks which have never
> been reviewed and justified with ARIN. I suspect that the courts
> will side, more or less, with the member who has worked with
> the rules over many years, and against the legacy holder who
> has never shown any justification for holding their allocation.

It's up to counsel to consider the legal exposure that policy (or proposals)
creates and raise those issues with the BoT.  The BoT is obligated to take
action to keep ARIN safe.  The rest of us have been told to create policy
that makes sense for the community as if there were no legal ramifications.
If there are, counsel will tell us, and we (or, worst case, the BoT) can
react to that competent advice.  There is little sense in us acting as
armchair lawyers when ARIN employs counsel to keep us out of trouble.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov