[ppml] Dean Anderson, 130.105.0.0/16 and the future of the IPv4 Internet.]

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Jul 25 20:09:07 EDT 2007

addressed to all:

ok, so i've now heard from twice as many people telling me to shut the fsck up
as i had previously heard from telling me that (as ted put it) "lies, repeated
often enough, become truth."  since this is all off-topic anyway, and since
dean knows how to pursue trustee removal now, i'm about to STFU about it.

a possible bit of wisdom for all of us is that regardless of whether dean is
mentally ill, or merely unintelligent, or even perhaps slickly nefarious, it's
clear from his output over the last decade or so in every forum he's entered
that he lives in his own private idaho.  before engaging someone in debate, a
common frame of reference is needed.  nobody shares a common frame of reference
with dean anderson.  he certainly won't be learning anything from your attempt
communicate with him.

i've tried to limit my statements to dean on this thread to objective matters
of fact, pointing out falsehoods where they appeared, clarifying things that
might have been said in ignorance, that sort of thing.  as you have now seen,
this kind of response merely adds fuel to dean's fire.  we will never know if
dean actually believes that the UN is going to take over the governance of the
united states of america, or if he just says that kind of stuff to amuse us or
to amuse himself.

but we do know that there's no way to answer dean in a way that satisfies him
or makes these e-mail threads shorter.  not here, not on namedroppers, not on
the ietf mailing list... nowhere.  the more you say, the more he'll rage.  so,
learn from my example over the last 24 hours, and observe that the only
possible constructive thing to do when dean says something you think is whacky
is to ignore it.

open, but addressed to dean:

dean, as an arin trustee i am committed to the well being of this
organization, of which you are a member.  on the one hand that means
defending your right to IP addresses and other resources whenever you
can justify your need for them, exactly as i would for anyone else.
on the other hand that means i can ignore you when you're talking
about stuff unrelated to ARIN, which i now plan to resume doing, as
i have done for most of the time since i first encountered you.  i
wish you well in your walk with the gods, but could you do it more
quietly?