[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of Legacy Resources

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 25 17:00:27 EDT 2007

> The proposal is designated Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of
> Legacy Resources. The proposal text is below and can be found at:
> http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_15.html
>
> Legacy IP address record holders who have not signed a registration
> services agreement with ARIN will have their name server delegations for
> the in-addr.arpa zone removed starting on June 30, 2009. All name server
> delegations shall be removed from the in-addr.arpa zone by December 31,
> 2009.

I oppose this proposal for two reasons:

1. Ending RDNS for legacy registrants violates both the spirit and the
letter of how ARIN promised to treat the legacy registrants during its
formation a decade ago. If circumstances require ARIN to walk away
from its promise, then a decent respect to the community it serves
requires ARIN to acknowledge the breach and declare the causes which
compel it. This proposal does an adequate job of neither.

2. This proposal creates unnecessary enmity by hitting legacy
registrants with a very large stick. We should try at least a few
carrots before we seriously consider using a stick.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us