[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: AuthenticationofLegacy Resources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Jul 25 15:19:23 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
>>I have a /24 block, which I have had for about 15 years. I don't
>>want to get in to a situation like my cable company thought was
>>a great idea and have to pay $1250 per month to route this
>>address block, or own it for that matter.
>
> If we ever are in a situation where people are scrounging around
> for the odd /24 of IPv4 that they can use to satisfy a need for IP
> address allocation to the point that they would be willing to
> contemplate going after a legacy /24 holder for $1250 per month,
> I would take that as a definitive proof of the utter failure to migrate
> to IPv6 post IPv4-runout.

Where did this $1250/mo number come from?  Even if ARIN did, somehow, manage
to convince/force folks to pay for their legacy resources, the fee is
$100/yr for all assignments, regardless of size.  While not insignificant,
ARIN hardly needs that money and it'd likely be a net loss even trying to
collect it.

What any particular ISP charges to route a block, legacy or not, is
irrelevant to policy discussions here.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov