[ppml] Example of a questionable block Was: Re: Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a mailing list when we are unable to speak?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jul 24 19:29:12 EDT 2007

non-profit?  That's what YOU think... ;-)

>organization headquartered in Washington DC. I assume you've heard of
>it. Find it at DC's corporation site:
>
>http://mblr.dc.gov/corp/lookup/index.asp
>
>What you propose is not by itself a reliable test for a legacy
>registrant's existance or legitimacy.

Hmmm I wonder then what SORBS used then?  Wasn't this discussion
started by Dean complaining that block was blacklisted or something?

I agree that by itself it isn't reliable.  Nor was I attempting to state
it was.  The point I was making was it's rather difficult merely by looking
at a whois output to determine legitimacy.  That is why it is so important
for orgs that list themselves in whois records to use actual e-mail
addresses
of real people, actual telephone numbers that go somewhere, rather than
anonymous PO boxes.  Ultimately, all you have for your online persona to
legitimize yourself is what you put up that can be verified - and if
you put an anonymous PO box that might not even exist, you really
have about as much credibility as that PO box.

I find it amazing, frankly, that people seem to think it's perfectly OK
to identify things like netblocks with LESS data than they would use to
identify themselves on an Ebay sellers' profile!!

Ted